Thursday, April 26, 2012

La Mode




  If you were inclined to snoop around my computer, you may find a google search (or variation there of) for "how to look Parisian."  Embarrassing, I know, but when one sees such images like the one above or these...



...you can't help but feel a tad shabby.  




Alors, in response I have conjured up five rules for myself to stick to when I arrive to keep myself looking overtly/aversely "Americaine."

1. A great trench.  From what I have read, a trench coat is important in Paris for two reasons.  One, it looks fabulous over just about everything.  And two, the weather is seriously unpredictable.  I don't know if it's the natural makeup of la belle France, or the weathermen are, well... French, but it is important to always have a coat and umbrella. 

2. Parisians don't wear pastels.  French women live in clean lines and neutrals (blacks, tans, grays...).  And will add a pop of color through a well placed scarf or shoe. I guess I won't be taking Lilly P. with me...

3. Minimal makeup.  Unlike in America, where sometimes I feel pressured to put on a face full of makeup to feel good, French women seem to favor very natural looks and play up their features.  A red lip with a few coats of mascara is sufficient.   

4. Care about your appearance.  I've mentioned this before... but yoga and running attire don't exist outside the park or gym.  Despite how great I think my butt looks in my yoga pants, this will probably be my downfall.

5.  When in doubt, emulate Francoise Hardy.  



No comments:

Post a Comment