Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Series: American Things I Miss


I was going to create one big post about the things I've come to find I really miss in America.  But then I realized that this said list usually depends on my state of mind.  For example, right now my throat is swollen shut and it feels like I'm swallowing burning gasoline... so I could really go for some chicken soup right now... but there is no chicken soup here, no chicken broth... not even bouillon cubes.   Actually, my host-dad told me that he didn't "get" chicken soup.  Uhhm?  ANYWAY... aside from a nice salty bowl of campbell's best... this will be a series about the things that I am missing most about America...First up...



Eating...with or without hands...


I know I have posted about this before, but this was pre-departure, and I secretly was hoping deep down in my heart, that when I heard the French don't eat a lot, it wasn't actually true.  I was wrong.  Unless you're a child and get the goûter at 4:30pm, you eat three times a day.  No more.  No less.  I am starting to get the hang of it now, (and not surprisingly, my waste line is thanking me) but the first two weeks I was constantly hungry.  Starving.   When we were on vacation I was stealing pieces of baguette when no one was looking.  At dinner time, I don't want to know what everyone was thinking as I was taking second, third helpings of... everything.  As someone who doesn't eat a heavy breakfast, the trick is to just gorge yourself at lunch, because it's a long way until dinner time from 12pm... 

And now.  A little story...  During my first week here, we went out to eat at an Italian restaurant and I ordered pizza.  When my food came, I said to the others, "oh!  the kitchen forgot to cut mine into slices!"  Mais, no, my table said.  You eat pizza with a fork and knife here... silly little American girl.  And not only pizza... hamburgers, french fries, unpeeled shrimp!  The other night at dinner I stared in disbelief as everyone managed to take off the little feet and shells of the shrimp we had for dinner along with raw oysters.  "Sorry, guys" I said as I picked up a half shell, "but I just can't do this..."and slurped it down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment