Saturday, June 9, 2012

Les Films


In order to bolster up my French skills before I depart, I have been doing a lot of studying with my old college textbook.  But mostly, I have been watching French movies on Netflix to re-acquaint my ear with the language.  And save your, "yeah, that really sounds like studying..." because I think it does wonders and I have even started dreaming en Français. 
So, here is a list of my favorite French films I have found on Netflix... 



1. Paris Directed by Cédric Klapisch.  Starring Romain Duris and Juliette Binoche.  
Whether it is in literature or film, I am a sucker for "slice of life" stories coming together to form a unified narrative.  The main story revolves around a cabaret dancer with a life-threatening heart problem, but is foremost, a staggering salute to the city of lights.  It also features my girl crush, Melanie Laurent.  




2. Sarah's Key Directed by Gilles Paquet-Brenner.  Starring Kristin Scott Thomas and Mélusine Mayance.  
When films are adapted from novels, I don't expect much going in, but this movie was an overwhelming exception.  This film tells the story of a victim of the Vel d'Hiv roundup (where Jews in Paris were then shipped to Auschwitz by the French Police) and how history can eventually catch up with us.  




3. My Best Friend Directed by Patrice Leconte.  Starring Daniel Auteuil and Dany Boon 
Auteuil, I think, is the French answer to Tom Hanks.  This movie is the perfect balance of charming comedy and heartbreak.  Finally a movie about friendship that doesn't end with a cheesy ending... leave it to the French.  



4. I Do: How to Get Married and Stay Single Directed by Eric Lartigau.  Starring Alain Chabat and Charlotte Gainsbourg 
Good old fashioned slapstick rom-com.  The storyline is farfetched, but the characters are lovable.  And if you haven't seen a Chabat film, watch one, the man is absolutely hilarious.  



5. Séraphine Directed by Martin Provost.  Starring Yolande Moreau and Ulrich Tukur 
The most cerebral of my selections, Séraphine is a true story about a middle aged maid who is secretly an artist until a German art dealer discovers her.  A great and understated period drama.  Moreau has a penchant for portraying women who go bat shit crazy... remember her character in Amelie? 

1 comment: